TGIF! Happy Friday all!
We’re finally getting some spring-like weather up here in New England (complete with what may be some early April
showers monsoon type weather). And by early, I mean essentially the entire last few days of March. At least it will be in the 40s… except for Sunday. Which will be in the 30s. Have no fear, spring appears to be on it’s way!
All I can say is…we better have a LONG HOT SUMMER. I won’t even complain this year if we get multiple heat waves. I will bask in it. Seriously.
So with spring and summer finally on it’s way, it got me thinking about my goals for this year – the things I want to accomplish so I can look back and remind myself how the spring/summer/fall of 2014 will be one of the best years yet!
1. Learn to Paddleboard – I live by the ocean. I should at least learn to do something water related (besides swim of course. I’ve been able to do that since I was a kid!). Paddleboarding just looks like so much fun, while being a great workout, while enjoying the summer weather. Thankfully, Sierra works at a Paddleboarding place in the summer and said she will teach me. Hooray!
2. Run a 5K – I’ve been saying this for probably 5 years now. Maybe even longer. But for the first time in a very long time, I feel like I can stick to training and learning how to run. I am totally getting a runner’s high when I run now. Even when I’m sucking wind after just a couple of minutes. After I’m done, I feel like a new person. And I can’t wait to do it again. This time, I’m sticking with it. Hopefully tonight, I’ll be hitting the road for the first time since it will be close to 50. Got to build up the stamina there since I can’t run a race on a treadmill!
A few spring/summer/fall options for 5K’s in the area are:
- Flag Day 5K – Saturday, June 14th (It benefits the 1st Lt. Derek Hines Soldier Assistance Fund; I grew up with his family. It also falls 2 days before my birthday. Which would be an amazing experience to finally reach a goal before my birthday!)
- The Nate Bibaud 5K – Saturday June 29th
- Yankee Homecoming 10 Mile and 5K – Tuesday, July 29th (it’s during Yankee Homecoming, a Newburyport tradition)
- 25th Annual Apple Harvest Race – Sunday, October 5th
Who knows! Maybe I’ll be so ready by June I can run all of them. However, I’m just going to go with the flow and know that I have at least 4 ahead of me that I could do! Just need to keep up the training!
3. Travel – Last summer, we took a week off and basically just hung around and took in the sites close to home. This year, I want to travel. I hate flying, but I love visiting new places. We’ve already planned at July trip to Rota, Spain for 10 days to visit my best friend and her husband. A fall trip is also in the works so we can celebrate the other half’s birthday and start planning our wedding (HOORAY!!!). I’m also hoping we’ll get to do some fun weekend trips, as long as money allows!
4. Enjoy Every Minute – I feel like every summer goes by in the blink of an eye. Suddenly it’s September and I’m looking back wondering where the hell the summer. Come September this year, I don’t want to look back and wonder where it went.
- I want to look back and say ‘That was the best summer ever.’ I want to spend time at the beach, or by the pool, and attempt to get a tan (I burn usually… I’m Irish).
- I want to take long walks in the summer evenings, or the early mornings, before the humidity sets it.
- I want to have campfires and gatherings, and endless nights that we will talk about for years to come.
- I want to be outside as much as humanly possible.
- I want to travel around with my camera and create a personal portfolio I will be oh so in love with.
- I want to have the time of my life.